I was recently inspired by my friend @sewmesarah to make some clear vinyl project pouches, like the ones she keeps her WIPs (works in progress) and UFOs (unfinished objects) in.
It has been quite some time since I looked in my box of UFOs and thought if I got them organised into pouches I might be inspired to move some of them on!
So I set to with a small bag of Amy Butler scraps and decided I would just keep making improv panels until all the scraps were used!
I managed to make and quilt 5 panels measuring between 14" and 16" square (ish!). I backed each panel with more Amy Butler and siphoned a few longer strips to make the zipper facings for the front.
But do you put the patchworked panel on the back of the pouch, or on the front, to be seen through the vinyl, but obscured by the pouch contents? Hmmm, decisions, decisions!
For the first pouch I put the patchwork panel on the back. I wasn't so keen, so for the other 4 I let the patchwork shine through the clear vinyl!
I used a really good quality clear vinyl by ByAnnie and got all 5 pouches out of the 15 yard pack. It comes in a roll, so no need for careful ironing out of creases!!
The black and white stripey binding uniforms and finishes off the pouches.
One of the pouches contains quilted cushion fronts (awaiting cushion backs), another orphan quilt blocks (I could turn these into more project pouches!), another quilt flimsies (awaiting backing & quilting), another random/smaller projects (awaiting a decision on how they should be transformed!) and finally one for dressmaking UFOs.
The irony of spending time making UFO pouches rather than actually working on the UFOs isn't lost on me (!!) but sorting and categorising them into pouches has achieved my objective (at least in part) of moving some of them on and I've even managed to finish a few (that's a blog post for another day!).