It’s been another busy week here in the Hollies’ household – lots more sewing to share with you in the coming weeks.
A wee while ago I was prepping for an English Paper Piecing class and brought in some of my sample projects.
I had diamonds, hexies, kites and coffins to show in a variety of projects, but there was one shape I was missing………. Clamshells (scallops).
Clamshells are a great example of curved EPP. I often get free pre-cut EPP papers with quilting magazines. Which is where I got these clamshells!
The little project book that came with the papers was helpful too! It gave me an idea for a sample.
I decided to make this little bag using some Tilda leftovers teamed with Essex Yarn Dyed Linen (Flax).
Joining curved EPP shapes is a little different from straight edge shapes. Shapes like hexies and diamonds can be sewn right sides together using a whip stitch along the straight edges. Because there are no straight edges on curved shapes, the pieces are appliqued down onto a background instead.
A little note on basting clamshells – snip into the fabric along the curves, approx. 1cm intervals before folding the fabric over the paper. I’m a fan of hand tacking/basting the fabric to the papers, but I know some of you are big into the convenience of the glue basting pen. However, the glue pen doesn’t work so well here because the papers have to be removed before they are appliqued down.
I sourced some vintage wooden handles on Etsy that were just the right size.
So now I have a sweet little Clamshells Handbag to keep all my English Paper Piecing papers and wips in! Great for sewing ‘on the go’!
My colleague in work had a bonny baby girl last week!
As we both work in a Quilting shop, it seemed only fitting to make her a quilted baby gift!
I have loved Ayumi’s fabric basket pattern since she released it in 2008, and have made many in a variety of sizes as gifts for recipients of all ages!
The original size makes for an adorably cute baby gift, especially when it gets stuffed full of treats for mummy and baby!
I recently blogged about my Ditsy Daisy Quilt, which used an uber cute collection by Lewis & Irene called Flos Little Flowers.
I had some leftover scraps from this quilt which I used to make the pretty girly mini basket and matching bibs. Some Essex Yarn Dyed Linen for the base and a little crochet trim finished off the basket perfectly!
For the bibs, I kept the patchwork simple, with a little panel of squares and ribbon trim.
The bibs are backed with towelling, making them soft and absorbent for dribbly little mouths! Using my own template I can get 5 bibs from one hand towel! This time I stitched on little velcro circles for the fasteners.
I like how the bibs make sweet little roll-ups to fit neatly into the basket!
This is a sweet collection of prints I have very much enjoyed sewing with. I hope you like them too!
Hello everyone! I hope you’ve had a wonderful Saturday!
I’d like to show you the first of 2 of my magazine commissions this month.
The lovely peeps at Popular Patchwork sent me the cutest fat quarter bundle of Flo’s Little Flowers, by Lewis and Irene.
The ditsy prints and soft colours are adorable (if a little tricky to photograph!), and I knew I had to design something floral for these fabrics.
Now daisies are one of my favourite flowers (as Meg Ryan would say ‘they’re so friendly!’ You’ve Got Mail). I sketched a daisy and thought it might work as a stitched outline on some Essex Yarn Dyed Linen (Flax).
But I didn’t want anyone freaking out thinking they had to free motion stitch these, so I purposely top stitched all the petals and blanket stitched the centres.
While this technique may be a little slower than free motion stitching, I think it gives much smoother lines and makes it possible for people who haven’t yet tried free motion stitching.
So that was the first part of my idea working out.
But I needed another flower, this time as an alternating block with the daisies.
A little Pinterest search revealed the seasonal hydrangea, a flower head made up of lots of little flowers! When I saw a close up of the little flowers, I knew I had my 2nd block.
The piecing involved in the Hydrangea blocks is really easy. I like how big they are in contrast to the daisies and how they show off the Lewis and Irene fabrics so well.
I hope you like my Ditsy Daisy quilt, in the May issue of Popular Patchwork (out now!).