Brit Bee R3 Medallion Finished!


By Judith on July 25, 2019
4 Comments (Leave comment)

Hello everyone, I hope you’ve been getting some gorgeous summer weather like we have been here!

 

We’ve enjoyed being day tourists in our homeland, visiting some of our favourite spots!

 

Ballycastle July19
Ballycastle
Ballycastle July19
Watertop Farm, Ballycastle
Dark Hedges July19
Dark Hedges
Mountstewart July19
Mountstewart

 

Delamont July19
Delamont Country Park

 

My middle daughter is only home for a few more days, so it’s been lovely spending quality time with her in our green and pleasant land!

 

So, on to more quilty things!

 

In 2014 our Brit Bee Quilting group designed a medallion quilt as our year long project.  This meant we would all end up with our own quilt, identical in design and made by the same 12 people, but different in choice of fabrics.

 

I’m sheepishly delighted to announce, ahem,  that I have finally finished my R3 Brit Bee Medallion quilt (only 4 years after the round finished!!).

 

Brit Bee Medallion R3

 

I chose a soft ‘ditsy’ type palette, pastel pinks, warm neutrals, clear aquas and raspberry reds and my Brit Bee mates (who had to make each round from their own stash) didn’t disappoint!

 

Brit Bee Medallion R3

 

We started by making our own centre block, I chose a foundation pieced star variation. This was month 1.

Then we posted it to the next person on the list!  We then all made & attached the next set of borders on the centre block we had received (in the owner’s chosen colour palette of course) before posting it to the next person on the list.  This completed month 2.

And so it went on for a whole year, with the final posting being a completed flimsy back to the original maker!

 

Brit Bee Medallion R3

 

It was so exciting opening my medallion! We had somehow managed to keep the progress on the quilts a secret until the final reveal!

It was love at first sight!

 

Brit Bee Medallion R3

 

And then, I’m ashamed to say, I parked it!  I knew I had to add a final border and didn’t know what to put on it, so I stalled ……….. for 4 years!!

A recent flurry of Brit Bee activity on our outstanding projects on Instagram got me motivated again to get this medallion finished.  I owed it to the 11 other contributors of it.

A month ago I added the final border and got my friend to quilt it on her long arm machine (I didn’t want another 4 year hiatus!).

 

Brit Bee Medallion R3

 

And today I finally got around to attaching the binding and getting it photographed!

 

Brit Bee Medallion R3

 

Oh how satisfying to move this long standing UFO (unfinished object) onto the Completed list!!

Now to get Brit Bee R4 quilt finished (it started in 2015!!!! Yikes!).

Happy sewing!

Comments

4 Comments (Leave comment)