As promised here is a tutorial on how to make the rainbow binding you can see on my Eye Spy Quilt!
1. Cut 1.5″ strips from your rainbow fabrics (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo/Purple, Violet/Pink = 1 group of strips). The strips should be approx. 13″ long (you can cut longer but I find sewing longer, thin strips increases the chances of wobbly seams!).
|I have 2 groups of strips laid out here.|
2. Sew each group of strips together using a 1/4″ seam. You can have as many ‘groups’ of rainbow strips as you wish (for my 37″ square quilt I needed approx 7 groups).
3. Join the groups together and iron the seams open.
4. Lay the piece on your cutting mat with the strips going horizontally across the mat. Cut 2.5″ strips.
6. To calculate how much binding you need to go round your quilt, add up the 4 sides of your quilt & add 10″. Keep adding strips to your rainbow binding until you have enough.
7. Iron the long rainbow strip in half lengthways. Because of so many internal seams, I found it easier to pin the top of the strip as I was folding, making sure the seams stay open inside the binding. Then I ironed the binding flat with the pins still in.