Finished Size: Approx. 30” x 31”
Materials & Requirements:
- 1m of Holly Jolly Gnomes by Michael Miller
- 1x medium size button or small piece of Velcro or snap fastener (for adjustable neck strap)
- Buttonhole foot for your machine (if making buttonholes on neck strap)
- Paper, pencil and ruler
Method: Assume ¼” seams unless advised otherwise.
1. Create your template from the diagram below:
- Fold the fabric (wrong sides together) widthways & pin the template onto the fabric, placing the edge of the template marked ‘fold’ along the folded edge of the fabric.
- Cut out, right up to the edge of the template. (The template includes seam allowances.)
- Carefully make ¼” deep cuts along the curved arm holes, approx. 1” apart.
- Iron this curved edge over ¼” towards the wrong side, and over again, another ¼”. Pin in place. Repeat for the other side.
- Sew these seams in place. Take care not to overstretch the bias edge on the curve when sewing & give consideration to the colour of your bobbin thread as it will be seen from the front.
- Iron the top edge of the apron down ¼”, again towards the wrong side, and over another ¼”. Pin and sew.
- Repeat step 7 for the sides of the apron, and finally the bottom edge.All the raw edges of your apron should now be sewn under.
- Make the adjustable neck strap: Cut out a strip of fabric that is 2.5” x 28”. Iron over the short ends ¼” first, and then iron the strip in half lengthways, wrong sides together. Open out and press long edges up to centre crease. Finally fold the strap in half again and press.
- Pin and sew an edging seam (less than ¼”) around all 4 sides of the strap, starting and finishing with a reverse stitch.
- Pin one end of the strap onto the wrong side of the top of the apron, and sew it in place in the shape of a box.
- If making buttonholes, measure & mark the strap where you wish your button hole to go (you may want the option of several button holes to lengthen and shorten the strap as required) & either satin stitch (small zigzag stitch) a button hole, or use the button hole setting on your machine. Make sure your button is the right size for the button hole. Alternatively attach a snap fastener or Velcro to the strap.
- Attach a button/popper/velcro onto the opposite wrong side from where the strap is fixed.
- Make the ties: Cut 2 strips (2.5” x 44”) and press and sew as for the neck strap. Sew a strip onto each side, just at the corner. Attach to the wrong side and sew a box from the front, as for the neck strap.
And you’re done! Time to get baking!!