Hello and welcome to Just Jude Designs, especially if you are here as one of the 2017 Finish-a-long participants.
As one of the new hosts this year, it’s is my privilege to share with you a tutorial to keep you inspired during our first Tutorial Week!
With Easter not too far away, I thought you might like a quick make that oozes cuteness and gives you nifty way to gift to your ‘chocolate loving’ friends and family!
Finishing at 4″ wide by 7″ tall (incl. ears!), they are the perfect size for filling with small chocolates and eggs!
Here’s how to make them:
You will need:
Outer Fabric: 2 x (6″ wide by 8″ tall)
Lining Fabric: 2 x (6″ wide by 8″ tall)
Ears front: 2 x (2.5″ wide by 4.5″ tall)
Ears back: 2 x (2.5″ wide by 4.5″ tall)
Lightweight iron-on vilene: 1 x (2.5″ x 9″)
0.5″ wide ribbon: 2 x 17″
small safety pin
Assume 1/4″ seams
Download ‘Ear’ template here.
1. Iron the vilene onto the wrong sides of 2 matching ear fabrics. Cut the 2 pieces apart. Using the ears template, draw an ‘ear’ onto the wrong sides of the other ear fabrics.
2. Place (different) ear fabrics right sides together and sew on pencil line (use a reverse stitch to start and finish). Trim away excess fabric, leaving 1/8″ seam allowance.
3. Turn the ears right sides out, press and turn under the open ends. Sew across the ends as close to the edges as you can. Put to one side.
4. Place the outer fabrics right sides together. Mark 2″ down from both top corners.
5. Sew around sides and bottom from marker to marker. Repeat for the 2 lining pieces, but leave a 2″ gap in the bottom edge.
6. Pull the corners apart and place the side seam on top of the bottom seam. Measure 1″ along the seam from the point (this will give you 2″ vertically). Mark the vertical line and sew along this line. Repeat for both corners on outer bag and lining.
7. Place the top ‘flaps’ right sides together, outer fabric with lining. Pin at the point where the side seams meet.
8. Sew around both ‘flaps’ between pins at both sides. Use a reverse stitch to start and finish, and take care not to sew into the existing seam.
9. Turn bag right side out through the gap in the lining. Hand or machine stitch the gap closed and press well.
10. Press the flaps under by approx. 0.5″ or until they reach the side seams. Pin and sew one flap down (as close to the edge as possible). Use a reverse stitch to start and finish.
11. Pin the ears onto the remaining (turned under) flap leaving approx. 1″ between the ears at the bottom. Sew along the edge of the flap and along the bottom of the ears. Use a reverse stitch to start and finish.
12. Attach the safety pin to one end of the ribbon and pass through both channels until it comes out the same side where you started.
13. Knot the ribbon ends together and repeat for the other piece of ribbon from the opposite side.