As I mentioned yesterday, I've had a roller coaster ride with the mini quilt for my Brit Quilt Swap Partner.
I was pleased with the appliqued heart:
But then, I quilted a grid pattern on the background, not realising the fabric I'd chosen for the back was showing through to the front - booooo!
Not so obvious in this pic, but trust me, it's there!
I had checked that it wasn't showing through when it was all lying flat on the table, but of course, when you hold it up against a wall, the shadows from the patterned fabric came through! Aaaarggh!
So I had to carefully cut out my appliqued heart and start again with a new background.
I didn't like the quilted grid effect, so I parked that idea while I explored the other element of my design - fabric leaves.
I initially thought of handmade leaves in the colours of the rainbow, but as I started making them I realised they were way too textured and bulky, and fought alongside the heart, which is to remain the central theme.
So that idea was ditched too!
After much contemplation and analysing of my partner's inspiration mosaic once more, I remained convinced that leaves were the right way to go, but a softer approach was needed.
So this is what I've come up with:
Not a great pic, sorry, but this baby is 24" square!
Soft greens & aquas, with free motion quilting detail.
I'm liking this much more now - there is balance with the heart, plus it is much more in keeping with my partner's likes (I hope!).
I'm thinking of a simple border and binding to finish - less is more!